When can a separated parent elect to relocate with their child?

This is a more common issue being pursued more commonly in the courts.

Separated parents with children subject to time arrangements must understand that if they want to move from their existing premises, they must discuss this with the other parent and seek their consent by doing so, before moving.

If the proposed move was going to significantly change the time your children or former partner would have to travel, then you would have to seek the permission of either your former partner or the courts. This law aims to protect the relationship of parent and child. In saying this, one parent cannot unilaterally alter the relationships of the child concerned in relation to one or the other parent.

>Richards & Parsons (2003) 74 FAMCAFC
> Talia [2012] FMCAfam 567 (15 June 2012)

Rowan Skinner

About Rowan Skinner

Rowan Skinner is a highly skilled family lawyer with over 35 years of experience across various legal roles and jurisdictions. Rowan specialises in resolving family law disputes such as divorce, financial settlements, child custody and domestic violence cases. Through his diverse and extensive experience, Rowan has a deep understanding of the complexities and nuances involved in family law. Rowan is a skilled negotiator and litigator who follows a compassionate and client-focused approach which prioritises helping you navigate what can be an emotional and challenging time.