We hear you,
and we’re here for you.

Rowan Skinner is an Accredited Family Law Specialist with over 30 years experience in Family and Criminal law.

Contact Us

Rowan Skinner


Our Services



It is very important for separated couples to reach agreement on appropriate…




Most separated couples need a property and financial settlement following the…



Same Sex

In most cases the law that applies to same sex relationships about parenting…




We regularly act on behalf of clients involved in intervention order proceedings…



Jury Trial

Jury trial Lawyers for the accused present the defence case. Accused people are…




If you have been charged with assault offences, we are criminal lawyers who…




Being convicted of a sex offence can have serious consequences including…




Our experienced traffic lawyers can help you if you are facing large…



What Clients Say About Us

I regularly refer my clients to Rowan Skinner and Asc when they need representation. My clients have consistently had excellent advice and successful outcomes through Rowan’s representation at Court and when negotiating settlements. These proven results in combination with Rowan’s personal ability to engage with a diverse range of people, ensures that I will continue to refer my clients who need a family lawyer in Melbourne.


Rowan represented me in the Magistrates Court and the County Court in relation to very serious charges. Rowan was thorough, professional and diligent in his preparation and responded appropriately to my needs. I was acquitted of all charges.


I run a commercial law practice and frequently refer clients to Rowan for assistance and advice with family law. Rowan is a family law specialist: this means he is independently verified as having required skills and clients can have confidence in his ability and ethical standards.

John Whelan

I have a Mortgage Broking business with a large number of clients who having varying needs. I have referred many clients who want an excellent Family Law Specialist to look after them during what are difficult times. I have even referred family members to Rowan as I know he will look after them compassionately and professionally. I have no hesitation in recommending him and his services.

Andrew Kostanksi

I am happy to recommend Rowan and his team to anyone needing help with property settlement after divorce. I was worried about the costs that would be involved but everything worked out as quoted. I am happy with the outcome of settlement and grateful for the professional and kind service I received during a stressful time.

Leela Peart

Rowan Skinner was extremely helpful in my hour of need, he provided honest, clear cut advice and direction in a very difficult situation. He works hard for his client . I thoroughly appreciate his help and would strongly recommend him to others who are in need of a good lawyer.

Duncan Syme

I highly recommend Rowan and his team if you are dealing with a high-conflict ex-partner. I worked with Rowan pre-separation because I knew that I was in for an ugly and combative response by my ex-partner. Things unfolded as expected and he applied to the Federal Circuit Court within 3 weeks post-separation.

Rowan saw through the games and motivations of this high-conflict individual from the get-go and guided me every step of the way to a quick settlement of the case. Settlements are always compromises but mine is workable thanks to Rowan’s expert and pragmatic advice. I always felt he had my back and my best interests at heart. Rowan also has a wry sense of humor which often saved the day during the worst of this process.

Rowan was recommended to me by a friend and I have no hesitations to recommend him to you.

Nadine Zacharias


Latest News

Who gets sole occupation of the home after separation?

A typical issue when a relationship ends is who will continue to reside in the matrimonial home and who will vacate. If parties are unable to reach an amicable agreement, they may go before the Family Law Court to determine who will receive sole occupation, in the...

read more

What happens when a surrogate decides to keep the child?

Surrogacy arrangements can be a long and difficult journey for both intending parents and the surrogate. It is every intending parents’ worst nightmare to hear their surrogate say that they want to renege from their surrogacy agreement by terminating the pregnancy or...

read more

What is contempt in the Family Court?

In the recent case heard at the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (Division 1), Justice Gill made orders of six months imprisonment of Ms Trach, a mother who was found guilty of contempt for failing to provide information about location of her missing...

read more

“As an accredited family law specialist with over 30 years experience, my clients can feel confident in getting the best possible outcome.”

Rowan Skinner


Frequently Asked Questions

Family Law

How To Get A Divorce In Victoria
  • In Australia, you can apply for a divorce within 12 months of separation.
  • You do not need to prove fault on the part of the person you are seeking to divorce.
  • If there are children under the age of 18 years, either one party or lawyer for the parties needs to attend the Court on the application to explain to the Court the arrangements in place for the children.
How Much Does A Divorce Cost?
Click here to read an explanation of what the cost of divorcing your partner will be and the factors that can change the basic costs.
What Are the Rules For Property Settlement?

When it comes to the way property is settled or divided in a divorce there are rules set out, however each separation is different. We have many blog posts on property settlement, and this one discusses the potential of 50 / 50 settlements.

Criminal Law

What happens if police ask to interview me?

Being suspected of a criminal offence and being spoken to by police or prosecuting agencies as a suspect is very stressful.

We strongly suggest that you speak with a lawyer before speaking to police.

Call us on 0399959155 at any time if police have requested you take part in an interview.

If police suspect you of committing an indictable offence, they must tell you that do not have to say anything but anything you do say may be used in evidence against you if they intend to question you about an offence.  They are also obliged to tell you that you may communicate with a lawyer.

Do I have to give my fingerprints?

If police interview you about an offence, with the exception of some traffic offences, they have a right to obtain your fingerprints and can use reasonable force to obtain them if you refuse.

If there are no charges laid, police are obliged to destroy your fingerprints within 6 months.

Do I have to give my DNA?

Police have a wide variety of powers to obtain forensic samples, like saliva, or blood, to assist them linking a suspect with a suspected offence.

A senior police officer can authorise a non-intimate compulsory procedure for certain people held in a jail, police cell or secure facility who are the subject of an order by a Magistrate to be delivered to police for questioning . For example, a sample of hair or a swab from an external part of the body.

You should always get advice from a lawyer, but police cannot compel you give a forensic sample in the absence of an order from a Magistrate.


Contact Us

We are experienced criminal and family lawyers in Melbourne
that are sensitive to our clients needs, and always fight for
their best outcome. Contact us today.