Rowan Skinner & Associates is a dynamic legal practice in Clifton Hill with a focus on Family Divorce Law Proceedings.
Parenting Child Custody
This can be a conflictual area in the end of a relationship, but it need not be.
The end of a relationship can result in parents feeling significant emotional turmoil and stress. We suggest that you read our blog about how parental conflict can harm children:
Watch: How does the court make parenting orders?
Child Custody Lawyers in Melbourne
As experienced child custody lawyers in Melbourne, we can assist you to effectively negotiate an agreement with your ex-partner, including for international relocation, or point you in the direction of an appropriate Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner to assist you reach an agreement. We can also assist grandparents, caregivers or guardians to visit or care for the children.
We can also represent your interests in the Family and Federal Circuit Court of Australia if necessary.
If the court decides who will have custody of your children, it is based on two primary considerations, along with a set of other considerations specific to each case.
The primary considerations are:
- The benefit of the child having a meaningful relationship with both parents
- The need to protect the child from physical or psychological harm, including domestic violence
Other considerations include:
- Views expressed by the child, depending on age and maturity level
- The nature of the relationship between the child and their parents or other significant persons
- The capacity of each parent to provide for the needs of the child
- The likely effect of changes in the child’s living circumstances
- The cultural background of the child and their parents
- Any family violence orders or family violence perpetrated in the relationship
Parents in Child Custody Proceedings Should Consider:
- where will your children live and how will time be shared?
- what kind of education do you intend them to receive?
- how do your and your partner’s current work arrangements affect your living situations?
- where and when will your children spend time with other family members?
- do your ideas have the ability to remain flexible and do you consider changes in the future?
- how will the arrangement work so that you or your child can attend extra-curricular events?
Rowan Skinner is an LIV Accredited Family Lawyer. Our practice is often contacted by clients searching for a lawyer in Northcote, Brunswick, Fairfield, Kew, Carlton, Fitzroy, Abbotsford, South Melbourne, Prahran, South Yarra, St Kilda, Footscray, Moonee Ponds and other areas.
To speak to a child custody accredited family law specialist, who understands the complexities of parenting arrangements and custody issues, call (03) 9995 9155 for a no obligation initial discussion about your matter.